Welcome Guest Login Register Member List

Skip to bottom of page Want this open whilst browsing the rest of the site? Open this forum in a new window

Username: Password:
Remember Me? forgot password?

2 of 76
The OFFICIAL Film/Movie Thread
Posted: 13 January 2011 08:01 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
International Captain
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1144
Joined  2010-09-14
Juan Flo Evra The Cocu’s Nesta - 13 January 2011 07:53 PM

I saw Scott Pilgrim & thought it was throughly disappointing too. It seemed as if it was made for people with the attention span of about 0.2 seconds & just seemed very ‘throwaway’.

That was one of the points I think.  Well, in that it reflects the characters, as opposed to it being done aimed at the viewer.  I guess it wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

Here’s Edgar Wright talking about….

I first heard of Scott Pilgrim in 2004 when Bryan Lee O’Malley’s recently released first volume was pressed into my hands. Given that my previous work has strived to mix up the mundane with the insane, I was hooked immediately. I loved Bryan’s use of manga and video-game iconography to depict the emotions of these young characters.

Adapting these books was a gift as they are not only funny, charming and relatable, but have increasingly crazy diversions into the fantastical. To be able to do romance, comedy, action and fantasy in the feature was an intriguing challenge.

The best way to describe the world of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World is that it’s a normal world of a normal young man filtered through his overactive imagination. Bryan Lee O’Malley describes Scot as the hero of the movie in his own head. My goal is to make that very movie.

The emotions and the interactions throughout the film are infused with the mass media that this generation has grown up with; not just in music, film and animation, but in over 30 years of video games. Our characters’ life experience is completely governed by the ridiculous amount of time they’ve spent with their Nintendo consoles. For twentysomething characters in the film, the incidental music for Zelda is as resonant as nursery rhymes.

In the world of Scott Pilgrim, minor disagreements are resolved in mortal combat. Our hero is thrown into a world of pain when he dates the girl of his dreams. The mysterious Ramona Flowers has something of a hex on her where her seven evil exes challenge her new boyfriend to a series of duels to the death. Many people have jumped through many hoops to pursue someone unobtainable. Scott must literally fight for his new relationship if he wants it to survive.

The increasingly crazy events of the film are the result of wild exaggeration. When teens of twentysomethings describe the events of a night out they are usually blown out of all proportion. My take on the fights in the film is that they are hugely amplified versions of the events. Someone might gossip about the ‘huge fight’ that broke out the night before. And here we see the huge version of the fight.

The fight sequences in Scott Pilgrim almost play out like big production numbers. In our film, people break out into fights the same way they explode into a dance number in a musical. When emotion is too great to convey in mere words, characters in a musical will sing out. In Scott Pilgrim, they throw down.

In the absence of a snappy phrase that can fully emcompass the overload of eye and ear candy that comprises the actions, I will instead leave you with a promise: “You will believe Michael Cera can fly.”

The film is set in a world of first apartments, crappy bands, thrift stores and coffee shops that we all know and love. It covers young love, loud music and big emotions. We see the world through a cast of young people who have a lot to give and a lot to learn. Oh, and people totally explode into coins.

- Edgar Wright

Posted: 13 January 2011 08:25 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Dean Windass Hall Of Famer
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Manchester
Total Posts:  2417
Joined  2010-10-20
BigKahunaBurger - 13 January 2011 07:33 PM

My favourite film is Chinatown, gets better with every viewing.

Film of 2010m was The social newtwork. The acting, the direction, the cinemotography were supberb.

Sid anyone see Werner Herzogs Bad Lieutenant? I loved it, but mainly because it was just so ridiclously stupid and unhinged that i laughed at most of it. Not sure that was the point?

Probably the best film script ever written.

Posted: 13 January 2011 08:32 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
First Team Regular
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2010-10-13

Favourite films of the year:
The Social Network
Shutter Island
Kick-Ass

Probably already my film of this year is Black Swan. Absolutely a-maz-ing.

Posted: 13 January 2011 08:41 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Pun Bastard
Total Posts:  7493
Joined  2010-09-16

Inbetweeners Movie release date confirmed.

August 19th you buuuuuuuuuuumders…

Posted: 13 January 2011 09:19 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Leeds
Total Posts:  4352
Joined  2010-09-14

My top 3 Films of the year

3. Four Lions - in my eyes an almost perfect black comedy, great performances all round especially Nigel Lindsay
2. Inception - tried to avoid the hype as much as possible, overhyped maybe but still an excellent film
1. Toy Story 3 - speaks for itself

Posted: 13 January 2011 09:58 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
First Team Regular
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2010-10-13
Juan Flo Evra The Cocu’s Nesta - 13 January 2011 08:41 PM

Inbetweeners Movie release date confirmed.

August 19th you buuuuuuuuuuumders…

Met Will, such a good guy. So excited.

Posted: 13 January 2011 09:58 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
League Cup Player
RankRank
Total Posts:  149
Joined  2010-09-15

My films of the year
1 Black Swan
2 Toy Story 3
3 The Social Network
4 Kick Ass
5 Scot Pilgrim
6 Inception
7 Heartless
8 The Disappearance Of Alice Creed
9 Monsters
10 The Town

I think

Posted: 14 January 2011 02:14 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
International
RankRankRankRank
London born, Brighton based Chelsea Fan
Total Posts:  799
Joined  2010-09-14

I loved Scott Pilgrim, although there is a lot going on.

One film I watched over Christmas that I adored was An Education; truly wonderful.

The other film starring Peter Saarsgard that I watched was Knight & Day (not by choice, may I add - ‘family film time’). Possibly the worst film I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen Summer Holiday.

Posted: 14 January 2011 02:48 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
League Cup Player
RankRank
Toon
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2010-12-10

Swedish film I watched last night

The girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Worth a watch, for sure

Posted: 14 January 2011 03:18 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
Academy Player
Rank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2011-01-06

Films of the year, you say….?

1. Un Prophete
2. The Social Network
3. Winter’s Bone
3. Valhalla Rising
4. Another Year
5. Four Lions
6. Dogtooth
7. The Illusionist
8. Mother
9. Monsters
10. The House of the Devil

Posted: 14 January 2011 08:50 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Manchester
Total Posts:  2417
Joined  2010-10-20
proxy music - 14 January 2011 03:18 AM

1. Un Prophete
2. The Social Network
3. Winter’s Bone
3. Valhalla Rising
4. Another Year
5. Four Lions
6. Dogtooth
7. The Illusionist
8. Mother
9. Monsters

Quality choices all - loved Another Year and Winter’s Bone (great sountrack too). Did you see Gainsbourg? Might have crept into my top ten.

Posted: 14 January 2011 10:42 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
The Bog of Eternal Stench
Total Posts:  7210
Joined  2010-11-17

Best film of last year -  Kick-Ass
Best film Ever - Don’t have one

Honourable mentions go to:

The Mission
A long Kiss Goodnight
City of God
La Haine
Pulp Fiction
Terminator 2
The Evil Dead
Army of Darkness

And loads of others I can’t think of off of the top of my head.

Posted: 14 January 2011 12:27 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
Academy Player
Rank
Joined  2011-01-06
Ghedebrav - 14 January 2011 08:50 AM
proxy music - 14 January 2011 03:18 AM

1. Un Prophete
2. The Social Network
3. Winter’s Bone
3. Valhalla Rising
4. Another Year
5. Four Lions
6. Dogtooth
7. The Illusionist
8. Mother
9. Monsters

Quality choices all - loved Another Year and Winter’s Bone (great sountrack too). Did you see Gainsbourg? Might have crept into my top ten.

Nah, missed Gainsbourg, mate. Need to catch that, Of Gods and Men, Uncle Boonmee and I Am Love from last year still.

Posted: 14 January 2011 02:32 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
International
RankRankRankRank
Swansea City
Total Posts:  752
Joined  2010-09-14

Scott Pilgrim was definitely a film which divided peoples opinions, I however thought it was awe-some.

Another film which people may think is dire but I very much enjoyed was Tron Legacy, the visual styles alone deserve at least some credit, and Jeff Bridges is beyond great.

Posted: 14 January 2011 07:57 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
International
RankRankRankRank
New York, NY
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2010-09-14

My favourite films ever (and a couple of these are shit films, I just have a tendency to pick those that are quotable)
1. Good Will Hunting
2. Troy
3. Alexander
4. Fight Club
5. The Departed

Posted: 14 January 2011 08:23 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
League Cup Player
RankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2010-10-20

I couldn’t put a list in order for my favourite films of last years but it would definitely include:

Inception, Toy Story 3, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (unfortunately the trilogy goes downhill from there), Of Gods and Men, The Social Network, Down Terrace and Dogtooth, off the top of my head.

All in all a good year for film, but this year hasn’t started off badly at all. True Grit, Black Swan, The Fighter, The King’s Speech and 127 Hours are all fantastic. Seriously fantastic. Especially Black Swan and The King’s Speech.

Worst films of last year, guys? Mine would be Unstoppable and Dinner For Schmucks.

I’m really looking forward to Movie 43 this year (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333125/). It’s a film consisting on tons of little comedy segments, just take a look at the ridiculously large cast list. Oh and Fincher’s take on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

For all-time great films, that would include The Shawshank Redemption and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Posted: 14 January 2011 09:29 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
League Cup Player
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-15

True Grit was a lovely little film and i was genuinely surprised at how good The Fighter was .

Posted: 14 January 2011 09:45 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Leeds
Total Posts:  4352
Joined  2010-09-14

Dinner for schmucks made me angry however the french original “le diner de cons” is utterly brilliant

Posted: 14 January 2011 09:57 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Coventry City/
Total Posts:  2678
Joined  2010-10-08

I thought that The Other Guys was a very good film. Some will disagree but i enjoyed it. My favourites were Toy Story 3, Dogtooth, The Social Network and Of Gods and Men.

Posted: 14 January 2011 10:01 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Coventry City/
Joined  2010-10-08
brwah - 14 January 2011 07:57 PM

My favourite films ever (and a couple of these are shit films, I just have a tendency to pick those that are quotable)
1. Good Will Hunting
2. Troy
3. Alexander
4. Fight Club
5. The Departed

My favourite film of all time. Mainly because its my name and i even got a tattoo of the end quote “Megaos Alexandros” The greatest Alexander of them all.

Posted: 14 January 2011 10:25 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
International Captain
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1048
Joined  2010-10-06

Can someone explain to me why everyone likes the social network?  I have never felt as empty as I did after watching that.

Posted: 14 January 2011 11:47 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
International
RankRankRankRank
New York, NY
Joined  2010-09-14
Emmanuel Eboue’s Tiger Suit - 14 January 2011 10:01 PM

1. Good Will Hunting
2. Troy
3. Alexander
4. Fight Club
5. The Departed

My favourite film of all time. Mainly because its my name and i even got a tattoo of the end quote “Megaos Alexandros” The greatest Alexander of them all.

That film is truly shit, though, from a critic’s point of view. And Colin Farrell’s acting was comical. I liked it for the over the top dialogues, costumes, and bad acting - something that as an Indian, I am both accustomed to, and encourage. The funniest scenes were when Colin Farrell is giving a pre-battle speech, and the camera pans away, and when he’s standing on top of a mountain in Asia berating Craetorus, and says “Because you have fallen in love with the things that destroy men”.

It is very entertaining, though.

Posted: 14 January 2011 11:49 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
International
RankRankRankRank
New York, NY
Joined  2010-09-14
chris waddles wild pelanty - 14 January 2011 10:25 PM

Can someone explain to me why everyone likes the social network?  I have never felt as empty as I did after watching that.

I did too, and I can tell you from my experience at Columbia, that is exactly how a lot of Ivy Leaguers are - overambitious to the extent of giving up their friends and social lives for success. But you can’t deny that the film was entertaining, and very topical, seeing how facebook has exploded in the last year or so.

Posted: 14 January 2011 11:57 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
International Captain
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-06
brwah - 14 January 2011 11:49 PM

I did too, and I can tell you from my experience at Columbia, that is exactly how a lot of Ivy Leaguers are - overambitious to the extent of giving up their friends and social lives for success. But you can’t deny that the film was entertaining, and very topical, seeing how facebook has exploded in the last year or so.

I thought it was a film about a story that is less than half completed to be fair.  I tried reading the book to get it, that wasn’t very good either.

It was well shot, but no substance IMO

Posted: 15 January 2011 12:02 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]  
International
RankRankRankRank
New York, NY
Joined  2010-09-14
chris waddles wild pelanty - 14 January 2011 11:57 PM

I thought it was a film about a story that is less than half completed to be fair.  I tried reading the book to get it, that wasn’t very good either.

Agreed on that account - it’s not a movie people in the future will watch and wow at.

Posted: 15 January 2011 12:05 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]  
International Captain
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-06
brwah - 15 January 2011 12:02 AM

Agreed on that account - it’s not a movie people in the future will watch and wow at.

High five for a lovely little agreement

Posted: 15 January 2011 12:14 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]  
International
RankRankRankRank
New York, NY
Joined  2010-09-14
chris waddles wild pelanty - 15 January 2011 12:05 AM
brwah - 15 January 2011 12:02 AM

High five for a lovely little agreement

High five!

Its not often I agree with someone on here.

Posted: 15 January 2011 03:21 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]  
League Cup Player
RankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2010-10-20

Forgot to add Winter’s Bone, Animal Kingdom, Catfish, Rabbit Hole and the truely outstanding Enter The Void, Un Prophete and The Secret In Their Eyes to my earlier list. All in all a hell of a list.

On The Social Network, it’s much more about Sorkin’s script than anything else. The acting was good and the story interesting of course. It’s the deep irony between a socially awkward and pretty unlikeable bloke creating the biggest and most popular social networking tool with revenge, drama, legal battles, personal battles all thrown in. But Sorkin made that film. The same, to a slightly lesser extent, goes with True Grit aswell. The acting is great (in particular the unknown 14-year-old lead) but the best aspect of the film is the Coen Brothers’ script.

That’s my two cents anyways.

Posted: 15 January 2011 04:33 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Coventry City/
Joined  2010-10-08
brwah - 14 January 2011 11:47 PM
Emmanuel Eboue’s Tiger Suit - 14 January 2011 10:01 PM

1. Good Will Hunting
2. Troy
3. Alexander
4. Fight Club
5. The Departed

That film is truly shit, though, from a critic’s point of view. And Colin Farrell’s acting was comical. I liked it for the over the top dialogues, costumes, and bad acting - something that as an Indian, I am both accustomed to, and encourage. The funniest scenes were when Colin Farrell is giving a pre-battle speech, and the camera pans away, and when he’s standing on top of a mountain in Asia berating Craetorus, and says “Because you have fallen in love with the things that destroy men”.

It is very entertaining, though.

I didn’t say i thought it was good it just had my name as a title. Some of the script was truly awful but i enjoyed it.

Posted: 15 January 2011 04:47 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]  
Academy Player
Rank
Joined  2011-01-06
aws_young - 15 January 2011 03:21 AM

Forgot to add Winter’s Bone, Animal Kingdom, Catfish, Rabbit Hole and the truely outstanding Enter The Void, Un Prophete and The Secret In Their Eyes to my earlier list. All in all a hell of a list.

On The Social Network, it’s much more about Sorkin’s script than anything else. The acting was good and the story interesting of course. It’s the deep irony between a socially awkward and pretty unlikeable bloke creating the biggest and most popular social networking tool with revenge, drama, legal battles, personal battles all thrown in. But Sorkin made that film.

Exactly. The criticism of the film in this thread can be easily contextualised with a wee glance at the culprits’ favourite films of all time.

Posted: 15 January 2011 04:50 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]  
International Captain
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-06
proxy music - 15 January 2011 04:47 PM

On The Social Network, it’s much more about Sorkin’s script than anything else. The acting was good and the story interesting of course. It’s the deep irony between a socially awkward and pretty unlikeable bloke creating the biggest and most popular social networking tool with revenge, drama, legal battles, personal battles all thrown in. But Sorkin made that film.

Exactly. The criticism of the film in this thread can be easily contextualised with a wee glance at the culprits’ favourite films of all time.

I haven’t told you my favourite films!  I just didn’t like that one.

Posted: 15 January 2011 04:53 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]  
Academy Player
Rank
Joined  2011-01-06
chris waddles wild pelanty - 15 January 2011 04:50 PM
proxy music - 15 January 2011 04:47 PM

I haven’t told you my favourite films!  I just didn’t like that one.

Sorry, man - misplaced apostrophe!

Posted: 15 January 2011 05:14 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]  
First Team Regular
RankRankRank
New York/QPR
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2010-09-24

I’m ecstatic that this thread was created, and dumbfounded as to how I never had the idea. Anyway, here are some favorites:

-Garden State
-Clerks
-This Is England
-City Of God
-The Big Lebowski
-In The Loop
-Full Metal Jacket
-True Romance
-Sexy Beast
-Snatch
-Lost In Translation
-Children Of Men
-Pulp Fiction
-Dead Man’s Shoes
-Do The Right Thing

Now, these aren’t necessarily the films that I believe to be the.best, although some of them fit that description. Instead, they’re films that I can watch anytime, that I’ve grown to love on a personal level just from multiple viewings or characters that really hit home- that sort of thing.

Any recommendations based on my taste would be lovely.

Posted: 15 January 2011 06:56 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]  
First Team Regular
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  523
Joined  2010-09-18
Dirk Diggler’s Dong - 15 January 2011 05:14 PM

I’m ecstatic that this thread was created, and dumbfounded as to how I never had the idea. Anyway, here are some favorites:

-Garden State
-Clerks
-This Is England
-City Of God
-The Big Lebowski
-In The Loop
-Full Metal Jacket
-True Romance
-Sexy Beast
-Snatch
-Lost In Translation
-Children Of Men
-Pulp Fiction
-Dead Man’s Shoes
-Do The Right Thing

Now, these aren’t necessarily the films that I believe to be the.best, although some of them fit that description. Instead, they’re films that I can watch anytime, that I’ve grown to love on a personal level just from multiple viewings or characters that really hit home- that sort of thing.

No Boogie Nights ?

Posted: 15 January 2011 07:43 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]  
First Team Regular
RankRankRank
New York/QPR
Joined  2010-09-24
ChrisGers - 15 January 2011 06:56 PM
Dirk Diggler’s Dong - 15 January 2011 05:14 PM

-Garden State
-Clerks
-This Is England
-City Of God
-The Big Lebowski
-In The Loop
-Full Metal Jacket
-True Romance
-Sexy Beast
-Snatch
-Lost In Translation
-Children Of Men
-Pulp Fiction
-Dead Man’s Shoes
-Do The Right Thing

No Boogie Nights ?

Can’t believe it slipped my mind, so yes, Boogie Nights can undoubtedly be added to the list.

Posted: 15 January 2011 07:49 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Newcastle United
Total Posts:  6972
Joined  2010-09-14

My favourite films are; Little Miss Sunshine, SE7EN, The Usual Suspects, Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, Toy Story, Cool Runnings, Into The Wild, Stranger Than Fiction, V For Vendetta, Four Lions.

I currently have Shutter Island, The Losers and The Collector from LoveFilm.

Posted: 15 January 2011 07:53 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]  
First Team Regular
RankRankRank
New York/QPR
Joined  2010-09-24
Jonny Gabriel Ngo Baheng - 15 January 2011 07:49 PM

My favourite films are; Little Miss Sunshine, SE7EN, The Usual Suspects, Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, Toy Story, Cool Runnings, Into The Wild, Stranger Than Fiction, V For Vendetta, Four Lions.

I currently have Shutter Island, The Losers and The Collector from LoveFilm.

I despised The Losers… I actually have a fondness for ridiculous, over the top films (Crank is one of my favorites), but it disappointed to no end. Hope you enjoy it a little more than I did.

Posted: 15 January 2011 09:34 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]  
League Cup Player
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-15

What is everyone’s favorite British film’s ? 
Sweet Sixteen
Nil By Mouth
My Name Is Joe
Trainspotting
Looking For Eric
Shallow Grave
Orphans
Brassed Off
This Is England
28 Days Later

Posted: 15 January 2011 09:56 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]  
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Coventry City/
Joined  2010-10-08

I don’t know why everyone loves This Is England. I thought it was awful.

Posted: 15 January 2011 10:03 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]  
International
RankRankRankRank
New York, NY
Joined  2010-09-14

Favourite British films:
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Notting Hill
Bridget Jones’ Diary
Bridget Jones’ DIary 2
About a Boy